You want to enhance your smile and perhaps take a few years off your appearance. You may decide to have a cosmetic dental procedure. To your surprise, however, instead of that perfect, youthful smile you’ve always wanted, you’re now wracked with constant, debilitating discomfort and a beautiful smile that is fleeting. Your cosmetic dental procedure has left you in a worse place than you were, with more problems and discomfort than what you had before your procedure. Cosmetic dentistry is to make patients look and feel great. What happens, however, when your cosmetic dental procedure goes wrong? When should you seek a dental malpractice attorney in NYC? Here are some red flags that would warrant legal action:
- Lifetime injuries
- Bone and gum destruction – periodontal disease
- Blemished or discolored gums
- Severe pain
- Cosmetic deformity
- Destroyed teeth
- Ill-fitting dental enhancements like veneers, implants, inlays and onlays
- Botulism symptoms like dry and red eyes, difficulty breathing and gastrointestinal issues
- Headaches, hematoma, diplopia, facial muscle hyperactivity and ptosis
Many cosmetic dentistry accidents are the result of dentist negligence or lack of cosmetic dentistry training, knowledge and experience. Cosmetic dentistry has become a popular and lucrative service offering. As a result, many dentists offer cosmetic dentistry without proper training. In an effort to make a bigger profit, these unqualified cosmetic dentists put the dental and overall health of their patients at risk with faulty cosmetic dental applications and products.
If you’re considering cosmetic dentistry, look around for qualified, licensed cosmetic dentists. Be hesitant about general practice dentists who offer cosmetic dental services. Many experienced cosmetic dentists will specialize only in cosmetic dentistry, not preventive or restorative dentistry. You will likely have to spend more money and make a separate trip the cosmetic dentist to better ensure that you’ll avoid the following complications due to incompetent cosmetic dentistry:
- Multiple root canal treatments due to unnecessary damage to the gums and roots of teeth
- Tooth extractions from damaged teeth
- The need for dental implants, bridges, partial dentures arising from tooth extractions
- Droopy eyelids, lopsided smile and overly-plump lips (most of which don’t have immediate treatment and will require the patient to wait until the Botox wears off)
- Pain and discomfort which can impact one’s ability to speak and chew
- Embarrassment, lowered self-esteem and a lower quality of life
These potential cosmetic dentistry complications can require a lifetime of additional dental treatment that can cost thousands of dollars.
If you’re not pleased with your cosmetic dental work or if your cosmetic dental work has led to the need of further, unexpected dental treatment, you may have a viable dental malpractice case. Contact us at Chianese & Reilly Law today to schedule a dental malpractice claim consultation. Our friendly, knowledgeable and experienced staff will inform you of your rights and how we can help you in your case. After all, you chose your cosmetic dental procedure to look and feel great, not to incur additional dental complications.