Crown & Bridge Replacement Attorneys in New York
Countless Unique Dental Malpractice Cases Successfully Settled
Though dental malpractice isn’t as well-known and doesn’t occur as frequently as other types of medical malpractice, that doesn’t mean cases aren’t any less serious. Some forms of dental malpractice can cause severe and long-term injuries, some of which can cost upwards of tens of thousands of dollars to treat and recover from. One of the more common types of dental malpractice includes the improper placement of crowns and bridges. Individuals who have perfectly healthy teeth and don’t need crowns or bridges are often recommended to have them placed by negligent dental professionals. As a result, patients can have their teeth moved and harmed, leading to possible infections and pain. If you were injured by an unnecessary crown or bridge replacement, call the caring and seasoned New York crown and bridge replacement attorneys at Chianese & Reilly Law. With more than five decades of legal experience, we have the resources and knowledge you need to secure financial compensation and hold at-fault parties responsible for the harm they’ve caused.
Contact us online or by phone at (516) 604-2240 to take advantage of your free, no-obligation consultation. Even if you only suspect your dentist is negligent, we can assess your accident to determine for ourselves if they can be held liable for damages.
What are Crowns & Bridges?
Crowns and bridges are used in what is known as restorative dentistry, which refers to the techniques and tools dentists employ to restore teeth to healthy, optimal conditions. A crown is a covering that goes over a tooth to make it functional for up to 15 years and sometimes even longer. A bridge, on the other hand, is a replacement for a missing tooth.
There are three main types of bridges that dentists use and can last anywhere from five to 15 years:
- Traditional bridges: This bridge involves teeth on each side of the missing tooth. The teeth are readied for dental crowns while a bridge is made and includes a tooth between them.
- Cantilever bridges: These bridges are used when there are teeth on only one side of the missing tooth or teeth.
- Maryland bonded bridges: This bridge can be applied on the surrounding teeth. The bridge is fuses onto the teeth and is made of resin and a metal frame.
Issues Associated with Crown & Bridge Replacements
There are a variety of issues that can take place when a crown or bridge is fitted in a negligent matter. Some crowns and bridges are placed incorrectly, while others simply aren’t needed. All of these issues can result in pain, as well as inconvenience when it comes to eating or sleeping normally.
Common issues that can arise from negligence include:
- The bridge falls out: A dentist must ensure that your bridge mirrors your original teeth. If your bridge doesn’t fit correctly, this can result in issues with your bite. Bridges also fall out when patients have fractures, decay, or leakage in their teeth, which must be addressed by the dentist.
- Issues from ill-fitting crowns: If crowns have a poor fit, they can lead to difficulties in cleaning your teeth, which often leads to gum inflammation and bleeding. If you’re unable to clean around and between your teeth because of your crown, your tooth may decay and cause serious pain. Additionally, a dentist can be held responsible for negligence if they file down your tooth too much to cause the crown to fit improperly.
- Tooth decay under crowns: Decay under crowns can occur in two ways. One way, discussed above, is if a crown is fitted poorly and allows decay to form underneath – this can often result in the loss of the tooth. The other way is if the decay is already present in the tooth, but the dentist failed to remove it and make sure the tooth is ready for a crown before applying it. If your dentist failed to check your gums for infection or disease, they were negligent.
Call Us for Trusted Representation
Our law firm is well known for our commitment to helping clients who have been injured as a result of dental negligence. We realize that injuries can lead to hefty medical bills as a result of needing medications, surgeries, and more – bills that you shouldn’t have to pay. As an innocent victim, you deserve to rest and not worry about how you’re going to recover. We can handle your claim and collect the evidence needed to show your dental professional breached their duties in providing you with a standard of care.
Call our New York crown and bridge replacement attorneys today at (516) 604-2240 to pursue justice. We can be your voice during a dark and painful time and make your needs and goals known.