Medical Malpractice Lawyers in New York
Millions Recovered for Those Injured by Medical Professionals
We visit our health care professionals because something is wrong and we entrust our care to them so they can help us heal and feel better. However, each year, thousands of patients are injured by mistakes made by physicians, hospitals, podiatrists, and other health care professionals.
This is when you should guidance from a medical malpractice in lawyers in New York.
Contact our team online or by phone at (516) 604-2240 to learn more about our legal services. Our New York medical malpractice attorneys are here to help and have more than five decades of experience.
What Qualifies as Medical Negligence?
Medical negligence can occur in many ways, including:
- A failure to diagnose an illness or condition
- A misdiagnosis
- A delay in diagnosing an illness or condition
- Failure to do proper testing
- Failure in recognizing symptoms
- An improperly performed surgery
- An unnecessary surgery
- Leaving surgical equipment inside the patient
- Operating on the wrong surgery site
- Misreading or ignoring laboratory results
- Inadequate follow-up
- Premature release from the hospital
- Failure to gather patient health and medical history records
- A failure to properly advise a patient of the risks of a procedure
- Improper or inappropriate treatment, including improper medication and dosage
If you’ve been injured by a doctor, nurse, or some other medical professional, don’t hesitate to reach out to Chianese & Reilly Law so we can offer passionate legal counsel.
How to Win a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
Over the years, medical malpractice claims have seen an increase in occurrence, costing doctors, hospitals, the patient, the patient’s family, and the courts many hours and money.
Not every malpractice claim has the validity to be pursued. If you think you have a medical malpractice case, you must be able to prove all three of the following:
- There was a Violation of the Standard of Care: For every medical procedure and treatment there are a set of accepted standardized procedures medical professionals are to follow. These standards of care illustrate proper, reasonable medical treatment that is done under similar circumstances. You must prove that the medical professional either went above the standard of care or failed to adequately follow the standard of care for your particular treatment or procedure given your circumstance. This violation of the standard of care is defined as negligence.
- Your Injury was the Direct Result of the Doctor’s Negligence: For your case to be valid, you must prove that the medical professional’s negligence caused your injury. An unfavorable outcome doesn’t constitute grounds for a malpractice claim. You must prove that your injury would not have occurred without the doctor’s negligence. Without medical negligence or if the injury wasn’t caused by negligence, there is no grounds for a valid case.
- Your Injury Resulted in Substantial Damages and Loss: It is expensive to pursue a malpractice case. You must prove that the damages incurred are significant enough to outweigh the possible recovery. If you’re able to show that your injury resulted in a loss of income, a disability, significant pain, suffering, and hardship, or in the accumulation of substantial past or future medical bills, your case has a great chance to proceed.
If you have been injured as the result of a physician’s negligence and think you have a valid claim, contact us for a free consultation. Even if you’re not sure if your claim is valid, we would be happy to go over your case with you.
Call our medical malpractice attorneys in New York at (516) 604-2240 to take advantage of our decades of extensive experience. We’ve recovered millions for clients and have helped countless victims reclaim their lives after a devastating experience.